How to add permissions to lookup field?
When you create a lookup field for a custom object, permissions need to be assigned properly to the lookup field in custom object so that it can be listed/viewed/edited properly.
Permissions can be granted while creating lookup field and manually via permission set or profile.
To grant access to profile while creating lookup field:
- Go to Setup | App Setup | Create | Object
- Open the custom object on which you want to create the lookup field of another object. Under Custom Fields & Relationships | Create new field during the creation wizard at Step 4. Establish field-level security for reference field
- Choose the profile through which you want to give permissions for this lookup field
Using the Permissions Set
To create a custom permission set or clone an existing one:
- Go to Setup | Administration Setup | Manage Users | Permission Sets | New custom permission set or Clone existing one and make changes in it. Make sure that you have assigned permissions to the lookup field in this permission set
- Open recently created custom permission set Manage assignments | Add assignments | Select the user for which you want to grant this permissions set (can select multiple users also) | assign
- Once this permissions set has been added to the user, you can verify from Setup | Administration Setup | Manage users | Users | check the permission set assignments. If there are multiple permissions sets assigned then they will be used as a subset of all
Using the Profile
To grant lookup field access on profile:
- Go to Setup | App Setup | Create | Object | Select the custom object on which you have created the lookup field
- Under Custom Field and Relationships | Search the field you want to edit (assign permissions) | Press Edit
- Go to Change Field Type
- Following the Wizard on Step 3. Establish field-level security for reference field
- Select (Check) the appropriate profile through which you want to assign the permissions
Note: Assigning permissions can sometimes be confusing. Please double check while assigning permissions to Users/Profiles else your data might not be secured.
If you require any further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
★★★★★ - EXCELLENT
★★★★☆ - GOOD
★★★☆☆ - OK
★★☆☆☆ - POOR
★☆☆☆☆ - RUBBISH